29 September 2010

Excerpt- Communication, Meaning

     "... in English classes I hear from students, 'Well if that's what the author meant, why didn't they just say that?' Because I am also a student in these situations, I sympathize with that sentiment, and have made a point of trying to write only exactly what I mean. But it is also the case that in order to keep the truth of what I try to say when I write intact, some of it must be vague, contradictory, without context, sometimes even without sound (as in some of my poems which are more collections and arrangements of punctuation than they are sounds composed of letters of the alphabet). It's like looking at rocks in shallow water on a sunny day. If I focus on the rocks, I can't see anything of the reflection of the sky; if I focus on the reflection, I can't make out the rocks. But if I let my gaze go hazy, the whole of the image, both the rocks under the water and the reflection on the surface, is clear to me.
     But then how to communicate that experience? Thinking about this question and trying to come up with even a temporary answer always leaves me feeling alone, wholly alone. People are so far away. One answer is to try to arrange a situation (a poem, oil on canvas, sound) that makes it possible for the audience (a person) to enter the same mindset, have the same experience, feel the same thing as I did. For me, the search for this kind of connection is desperate..."


1 comment:

  1. Or you could just explain it like you did here... and now I totally GET it! (<<--don't mean to be snide) Perhaps not all the nuances and revelations the experience brings in its entirety but I get the picture. A picture.. a frame of reference to work with.

    It all goes back to art expressing things that words cannot.. but you're using words! It's a delicious irony of infinite meaning. They're "words" that go beyond themselves. It's meant to take reading to a whole other level.

    Much like how music is metaphor for any given expression in nature (or the human mind), so is poetry for the "noise" of the mouth. The fact it's written and treated as well as a craft can have as much impact as a sculpture or painting through the visual sense.

    Am I close?

    ReplyDelete

Comments are always welcome!