09 August 2010

the body of a man


Tonight my shoulders are strong,
my skin is olive smooth.
I tidy up, I make tea.
The house is quiet, white.
My skin is wasted on the night.
My thoughts, tonight, are wasted, too,
on days cast longways backward
drawn up from the timeline as flames.
My memory’s on fire,
those days ignited by the body of a man.
The body’s an empty silhouette
coming up the walkway to my door-
over and over,
repeat, replay-
puzzlewise his pieces take form
as my wasted skin makes contact-
then and now
so the fires leave me
leave me cold-
makes contact
with this:
a shoulder, bits of mouth, an eye too close and out of focus.
His parts rattle in the body frame
up different stairs to a green space
where previous thoughts of mine I poured
beneath my sound- jade,
so that when I go back, the jade place is
a still pool.
My mouth lay open to those waters
then and now
my face is captured in them, blank
headed does a body go,
now and then,
deliquescent into nights.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome!